1. The burden concerning Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkohshite.
2. God is jealous, and the LORD avenges; the LORD avenges, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserves wrath for his enemies.
3. The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD has his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
4. He rebukes the sea, and makes it dry, and dries up all the rivers: Bashan withers, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon fades.
5. The mountains quake before him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell in it.
6. Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.
7. The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knows them that trust in him.
8. But with an overrunning flood he will make an utter end of its place, and darkness shall pursue his enemies.
9. What do you imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.
10. For while they are entangled together as thorns, and while they are drunk as drunkards, they shall be devoured as stubble fully dry.
11. There has one come out of you, that imagines evil against the LORD, a wicked counselor.
12. Thus says the LORD; Though they be quiet, and likewise many, yet thus shall they be cut down, when he shall pass through. Though I have afflicted you, I will afflict you no more.
13. For now will I break his yoke from off you, and will burst your bonds asunder.
14. And the LORD has given a commandment concerning you: No more shall your name be perpetuated: out of the house of your gods will I cut off the graven image and the molten image: I will make your grave; for you are vile.
15. Behold upon the mountains the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace! O Judah, keep your solemn feasts, perform your vows: for the wicked shall no more pass through you; he is utterly cut off.