1. Ephraim feeds on wind, and follows after the east wind: he daily increases lies and desolation; and they do make a covenant with the Assyrians, and oil is carried into Egypt.
2. The LORD has also a controversy with Judah, and will punish Jacob according to his ways; according to his deeds will he recompense him.
3. He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God:
4. Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed: he wept, and made supplication unto him: he found him in Bethel, and there he spoke with us;
5. Even the LORD God of hosts; the LORD is his memorial name.
6. Therefore turn you to your God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on your God continually.
7. He is a merchant, the balances of deceit are in his hand: he loves to oppress.
8. And Ephraim said, Yet I have become rich, I have found myself wealth: in all my labors they shall find no iniquity in me that is sin.
9. And I that am the LORD your God from the land of Egypt will yet make you to dwell in tents, as in the days of the appointed feast.
10. I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and gave symbols, by the witness of the prophets.
11. Is there iniquity in Gilead? surely they are vanity: they sacrifice bullocks in Gilgal; yea, their altars are like heaps in the furrows of the fields.
12. And Jacob fled into the country of Aram, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.
13. And by a prophet the LORD brought Israel out of Egypt, and by a prophet was he preserved.
14. Ephraim provoked him to anger most bitterly: therefore shall he leave his bloodguilt upon him, and his reproach shall his Lord return unto him.