1. And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
2. Son of man, How is the wood of the vine tree better than any tree, or than a branch which is among the trees of the forest?
3. Shall wood be taken of it to do any work? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel on?
4. Behold, it is cast into the fire for fuel; the fire devours both the ends of it, and the middle of it is burned. Is it fit for any work?
5. Behold, when it was whole, it was fit for no work: how much less shall it be fit yet for any work, when the fire has devoured it, and it is burned?
6. Therefore thus says the Lord GOD; As the vine tree among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so will I give the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
7. And I will set my face against them; they shall go out from one fire, and another fire shall devour them; and you shall know that I am the LORD, when I set my face against them.
8. And I will make the land desolate, because they have committed a trespass, says the Lord GOD.