1. The word which came unto Jeremiah from the LORD, when king Zedekiah sent unto him Pashhur the son of Malchiah, and Zephaniah the son of Mahseiah the priest, saying,
2. Inquire, I pray you, of the LORD for us; for Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon makes war against us; if so be that the LORD will deal with us according to all his wondrous works, that he may go up from us.
3. Then said Jeremiah unto them, Thus shall you say to Zedekiah:
4. Thus says the LORD God of Israel; Behold, I will turn back the weapons of war that are in your hands, with which you fight against the king of Babylon, and against the Chaldeans, who besiege you outside the walls, and I will assemble them into the midst of this city.
5. And I myself will fight against you with an outstretched hand and with a strong arm, even in anger, and in fury, and in great wrath.
6. And I will strike the inhabitants of this city, both man and beast: they shall die of a great pestilence.
7. And afterward, says the LORD, I will deliver Zedekiah king of Judah, and his servants, and the people, and such as are left in this city from the pestilence, from the sword, and from the famine, into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and into the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of those that seek their life: and he shall strike them with the edge of the sword; he shall not spare them, neither have pity, nor have mercy.
8. And unto this people you shall say, Thus says the LORD; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
9. He that abides in this city shall die by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence: but he that goes out, and falls to the Chaldeans that besiege you, he shall live, and his life shall be unto him for a prize.
10. For I have set my face against this city for evil, and not for good, says the LORD: it shall be given into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire.
11. And concerning the house of the king of Judah, say, Hear you the word of the LORD;
12. O house of David, thus says the LORD; Execute justice in the morning, and deliver him that is plundered out of the hand of the oppressor, lest my fury go out like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.
13. Behold, I am against you, O inhabitant of the valley, and rock of the plain, says the LORD; who say, Who shall come down against us? or who shall enter into our habitations?
14. But I will punish you according to the fruit of your doings, says the LORD: and I will kindle a fire in its forest, and it shall devour all things round about it.