1. The righteous perishes, and no man lays it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.
2. He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.
3. But draw near here, you sons of the sorceress, the descendants of the adulterer and the harlot.
4. Against whom do you make sport? against whom do you open your mouth wide, and stick out the tongue? are you not children of transgression, offspring of falsehood,
5. Enflaming yourselves with idols under every green tree, slaying the children in the valleys under the clefts of the rocks?
6. Among the smooth stones of the stream is your portion; they, they are your lot: even to them have you poured a drink offering, you have offered a grain offering. Should I receive comfort in these?
7. Upon a lofty and high mountain have you set your bed: even there you went up to offer sacrifice.
8. Behind the doors also and the doorposts have you set up your symbol: for you have uncovered yourself to another than me, and have gone up; you have enlarged your bed, and made you a covenant with them; you loved their bed where you saw it.
9. And you went to the king with ointment, and did increase your perfumes, and did send your messengers far off, and did debase yourself even unto sheol.
10. You are wearied in the length of your way; yet you said not, There is no hope: you have found the life of your own hand; therefore you were not grieved.
11. And of whom have you been afraid or feared, that you have lied, and have not remembered me, nor laid it to your heart? have not I held my peace even of old, and you fear me not?
12. I will declare your righteousness, and your works; for they shall not profit you.
13. When you cry, let your collection of idols deliver you; but the wind shall carry them all away; vanity shall take them: but he that puts his trust in me shall possess the land, and shall inherit my holy mountain;
14. And it shall be said, Heap it up, heap it up, prepare the way, take up the stumbling block out of the way of my people.
15. For thus says the high and lofty One that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
16. For I will not contend forever, neither will I be always angry: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.
17. For the iniquity of his covetousness was I angry, and struck him: I hid myself, and was angry, and he went on backsliding in the way of his heart.
18. I have seen his ways, and will heal him: I will lead him also, and restore comforts unto him and to his mourners.
19. I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, says the LORD; and I will heal him.
20. But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
21. There is no peace, says my God, to the wicked.