1. Behold, the LORD makes the earth empty, and makes it waste, and turns it upside down, and scatters abroad its inhabitants.
2. And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the creditor, so with the debtor.
3. The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly plundered: for the LORD has spoken this word.
4. The earth mourns and fades away, the world languishes and fades away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.
5. The earth also is defiled under its inhabitants; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.
6. Therefore has the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell in it are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.
7. The new wine mourns, the vine languishes, all the merry-hearted do sigh.
8. The mirth of timbrels ceases, the noise of them that rejoice ends, the joy of the harp ceases.
9. They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.
10. The city of confusion is broken down: every house is shut up, that no man may come in.
11. There is a crying for wine in the streets; all joy is darkened, the mirth of the land is gone.
12. In the city is left desolation, and the gate is stricken with destruction.
13. When thus it shall be in the midst of the land among the people, there shall be like the shaking of an olive tree, and like the gleaning grapes when the vintage is done.
14. They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing for the majesty of the LORD, they shall cry aloud from the sea.
15. Therefore glorify the LORD in the east, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the coastlands of the sea.
16. From the uttermost part of the earth have we heard songs, even glory to the righteous. But I said, My leanness, my leanness, woe unto me! the treacherous dealers have dealt treacherously; yea, the treacherous dealers have dealt very treacherously.
17. Fear, and the pit, and the snare, are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth.
18. And it shall come to pass, that he who flees from the noise of the fear shall fall into the pit; and he that comes up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare: for the windows from on high are open, and the foundations of the earth do shake.
19. The earth is utterly broken down, the earth is torn assunder, the earth is shaken exceedingly.
20. The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a hut; and its transgression shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
21. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall punish the host of the exalted ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth.
22. And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be punished.
23. Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the LORD of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his elders gloriously.