1. The burden concerning the desert by the sea. As whirlwinds in the south pass through; so it comes from the desert, from a terrible land.
2. A distressing vision is declared unto me; the treacherous dealer deals treacherously, and the plunderer plunders. Go up, O Elam: besiege, O Media; all its sighing have I made to cease.
3. Therefore are my loins filled with pain: pangs have taken hold upon me, as the pangs of a woman that travails: I was bowed down at the hearing of it; I was dismayed at the seeing of it.
4. My heart panted, fearfulness appalled me: the night of my pleasure has he turned into fear unto me.
5. Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise, you princes, and anoint the shield.
6. For thus has the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he sees.
7. And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen, a chariot of donkeys, and a chariot of camels; and he listened diligently with great care:
8. And he cried, A lion: My lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime, and I am stationed in my post whole nights:
9. And, behold, here comes a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he has broken to the ground.
10. O my threshing, and the grain of my floor: that which I have heard of the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you.
11. The burden concerning Dumah. He calls to me from Seir, Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night?
12. The watchman said, The morning comes, and also the night: if you will inquire, inquire you: return, come.
13. The burden concerning Arabia. In the forest in Arabia shall you lodge, O you travelling companies of Dedanites.
14. The inhabitants of the land of Tema brought water to him that was thirsty, they met with their bread him that fled.
15. For they fled from the swords, from the drawn sword, and from the bent bow, and from the distress of war.
16. For thus has the Lord said unto me, Within a year, according to the years of a hireling, and all the glory of Kedar shall fail:
17. And the remainder of the number of archers, the mighty men of the children of Kedar, shall be diminished: for the LORD God of Israel has spoken it.