1. In the year that Tartan came unto Ashdod (when Sargon the king of Assyria sent him,) and fought against Ashdod, and took it;
2. At the same time spoke the LORD by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and remove the sackcloth from off your body, and put off your shoes from your feet. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.
3. And the LORD said, Just as my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder against Egypt and against Ethiopia;
4. So shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians prisoners, and the Ethiopians captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, even with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.
5. And they shall be afraid and ashamed of Ethiopia their hope, and of Egypt their glory.
6. And the inhabitant of this coastland shall say in that day, Behold, such is our hope, to which we flee for help to be delivered from the king of Assyria: how then shall we escape?