1. Moreover the LORD said unto me, Take a large scroll, and write on it with a man's pen concerning Mahershalalhashbaz.
2. And I took unto me faithful witnesses to record, Uriah the priest, and Zechariah the son of Jeberechiah.
3. And I went unto the prophetess; and she conceived, and bore a son. Then said the LORD to me, Call his name Mahershalalhashbaz.
4. For before the child shall have knowledge to cry, My father, and my mother, the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria.
5. The LORD spoke also unto me again, saying,
6. Because this people refused the waters of Shiloah that flow softly, and rejoice in Rezin and Remaliah's son;
7. Now therefore, behold, the Lord brings up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:
8. And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and pass over, he shall reach up to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of your land, O Immanuel.
9. Be shattered, O you people, you shall be broken in pieces; and give ear, all you from far countries: gird yourselves, and you shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and you shall be broken in pieces.
10. Take counsel together, and it shall come to nothing; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.
11. For the LORD spoke thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying,
12. Say not, A conspiracy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A conspiracy; neither fear you their threats, nor be afraid.
13. Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
14. And he shall be as a sanctuary; but a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, for a trap and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
15. And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.
16. Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
17. And I will wait upon the LORD, that hides his face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope in him.
18. Behold, I and the children whom the LORD has given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, who dwells in mount Zion.
19. And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that are mediums, and unto wizards that whisper, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? rather than the dead on behalf of the living?
20. To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
21. And they shall pass through it, hardpressed and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall be enraged, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.
22. And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, gloom of anguish; and they shall be driven into darkness.