1. And Job answered and said,
2. No doubt you are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
3. But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knows not such things as these?
4. I am as one mocked of his neighbor, who calls upon God, and he answers him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn.
5. He that is ready to slip with his feet is like a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease.
6. The tents of robbers prosper, and they that provoke God are secure; into whose hand God brings abundantly.
7. But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach you; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell you:
8. Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach you: and the fish of the sea shall declare unto you.
9. Who knows not among all these that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10. In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
11. Does not the ear test words? and the mouth taste its food?
12. With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.
13. With him is wisdom and strength, he has counsel and understanding.
14. Behold, he breaks down, and it cannot be built again: he shuts up a man, and there can be no opening.
15. Behold, he withholds the waters, and they dry up: also he sends them out, and they overturn the earth.
16. With him is strength and wisdom: the deceived and the deceiver are his.
17. He leads counselors away plundered, and makes the judges fools.
18. He looses the bonds of kings, and girds their loins with a waistband.
19. He leads princes away plundered, and overthrows the mighty.
20. He takes away the speech of the trustworthy, and takes away the understanding of the aged.
21. He pours contempt upon princes, and weakens the strength of the mighty.
22. He uncovers deep things out of darkness, and brings out to light the shadow of death.
23. He increases the nations, and destroys them: he enlarges the nations, and leads them away.
24. He takes away the heart of the chiefs of the people of the earth, and causes them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way.
25. They grope in the dark without light, and he makes them to stagger like a drunken man.