1. And it came to pass after many days, that the word of the LORD came to Elijah in the third year, saying, Go, show yourself unto Ahab; and I will send rain upon the earth.
2. And Elijah went to show himself unto Ahab. And there was a severe famine in Samaria.
3. And Ahab called Obadiah, who was the governor of his house. (Now Obadiah feared the LORD greatly:
4. For it was so, when Jezebel cut off the prophets of the LORD, that Obadiah took a hundred prophets, and hid them by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water.)
5. And Ahab said unto Obadiah, Go into the land, unto all fountains of water, and unto all brooks: perhaps we may find grass to save the horses and mules alive, that we lose not all the animals.
6. So they divided the land between them to pass throughout it: Ahab went one way by himself, and Obadiah went another way by himself.
7. And as Obadiah was in the way, behold, Elijah met him: and he knew him, and fell on his face, and said, Are you my lord Elijah?
8. And he answered him, I am: go, tell your lord, Behold, Elijah is here.
9. And he said, How have I sinned, that you would deliver your servant into the hand of Ahab, to slay me?
10. As the LORD your God lives, there is no nation or kingdom, where my lord has not sent to seek you: and when they said, He is not there; he took an oath of the kingdom and nation, that they found you not.
11. And now you say, Go, tell your lord, Behold, Elijah is here.
12. And it shall come to pass, as soon as I am gone from you, that the spirit of the LORD shall carry you I know not where; and so when I come and tell Ahab, and he cannot find you, he shall slay me: but I your servant fear the LORD from my youth.
13. Was it not told my lord what I did when Jezebel slew the prophets of the LORD, how I hid a hundred men of the LORDíS prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water?
14. And now you say, Go, tell your lord, Behold, Elijah is here: and he shall slay me.
15. And Elijah said, As the LORD of hosts lives, before whom I stand, I will surely show myself unto him today.
16. So Obadiah went to meet Ahab, and told him: and Ahab went to meet Elijah.
17. And it came to pass, when Ahab saw Elijah, that Ahab said unto him, Are you he that troubles Israel?
18. And he answered, I have not troubled Israel; but you, and your fatherís house, in that you have forsaken the commandments of the LORD, and you have followed Baalim.
19. Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the idol poles four hundred, who eat at Jezebelís table.
20. So Ahab sent unto all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together unto mount Carmel.
21. And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long do you halt between two opinions? if the LORD is God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.
22. Then said Eliajah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baalís prophets are four hundred and fifty men.
23. Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under it: and I will prepare the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under it:
24. And call you on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answers by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
25. And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and prepare it first; for you are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under it.
26. And they took the bullock which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.
27. And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he sleeps, and must be awaked.
28. And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lances, till the blood gushed out upon them.
29. And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.
30. And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.
31. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be your name:
32. And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench around the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
33. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid it on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
34. And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
35. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
36. And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word.
37. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that you are the LORD God, and that you have turned their heart back again.
38. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
39. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.
40. And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.
41. And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get you up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain.
42. So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees,
43. And said to his servant, Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, There is nothing. And he said, Go again seven times.
44. And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there arises a little cloud out of the sea, like a manís hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare your chariot, and get you down, that the rain stops you not.
45. And it came to pass in a little while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel.
46. And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.