1. And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill your horn with oil, and go, I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
2. And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hears it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take a heifer with you, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.
3. And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do: and you shall anoint unto me him whom I name unto you.
4. And Samuel did that which the LORD spoke, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Come you peaceably?
5. And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
6. And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORDíS anointed is before him.
7. But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.
8. Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither has the LORD chosen this one.
9. Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither has the LORD chosen this one.
10. Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD has not chosen these.
11. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all your children? And he said, There remains yet the youngest, and, behold, he keeps the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and bring him: for we will not sit down till he comes here.
12. And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and of a beautiful countenance, and handsome. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
13. Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
14. But the spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.
15. And Saulís servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubles you.
16. Let our lord now command your servants, which are before you, to seek out a man, who is a skillful player on a harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon you, that he shall play with his hand, and you shall be well.
17. And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me.
18. Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is skillful in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a handsome person, and the LORD is with him.
19. Therefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David your son, who is with the sheep.
20. And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread, and a skin of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul.
21. And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armorbearer.
22. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, Let David, I pray you, stand before me; for he has found favor in my sight.
23. And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took a harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.