1. And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.
2. And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not.
3. And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, you are barren, and bear not: but you shall conceive, and bear a son.
4. Now therefore beware, I pray you, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
5. For, lo, you shall conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come upon his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.
6. Then the woman came and told her husband, saying, A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of an angel of God, very awesome: but I asked him not from where he was, neither told he me his name:
7. But he said unto me, Behold, you shall conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.
8. Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said, O my Lord, let the man of God whom you did send come again unto us, and teach us what we shall do unto the child that shall be born.
9. And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah; and the angel of God came again unto the woman as she sat in the field: but Manoah her husband was not with her.
10. And the woman made haste, and ran, and showed her husband, and said unto him, Behold, the man has appeared unto me, that came unto me the other day.
11. And Manoah arose, and went after his wife, and came to the man, and said unto him, are you the man that spoke unto the woman? And he said, I am.
12. And Manoah said, Now let your words come to pass. How shall we order the child, and how shall we do unto him?
13. And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware.
14. She may not eat of any thing that comes of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe.
15. And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, I pray you, let us detain you, until we shall have made ready a kid for you.
16. And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah, Though you detain me, I will not eat of your food: and if you will offer a burnt offering, you must offer it unto the LORD. For Manoah knew not that he was an angel of the LORD.
17. And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is your name, that when your sayings come to pass we may do you honor?
18. And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why ask you thus after my name, seeing it is wonderful?
19. So Manoah took a kid with a grain offering, and offered it upon a rock unto the LORD: and the angel did a wonderous thing; and Manoah and his wife looked on.
20. For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground.
21. But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD.
22. And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.
23. But his wife said unto him, If the LORD were pleased to kill us, he would not have received a burnt offering and a grain offering at our hands, neither would he have showed us all these things, nor would at this time have told us such things as these.
24. And the woman bore a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.
25. And the Spirit of the LORD began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.