1. And these are the areas which the children of Israel inherited in the land of Canaan, which Eleazar the priest, and Joshua the son of Nun, and the heads of the fathers of the tribes of the children of Israel, distributed for inheritance to them.
2. By lot was their inheritance, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses, for the nine tribes, and for the half tribe.
3. For Moses had given the inheritance of two tribes and a half tribe on the other side of Jordan: but unto the Levites he gave no inheritance among them.
4. For the children of Joseph were two tribes, Manasseh and Ephraim: therefore they gave no portion unto the Levites in the land, except cities to dwell in, with their pasture lands for their cattle and for their possessions.
5. As the LORD commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did, and they divided the land.
6. Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said unto him, You know the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and you in Kadeshbarnea.
7. Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to spy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in my heart.
8. Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
9. And Moses swore on that day, saying, Surely the land on which your feet have trodden shall be your inheritance, and your children's forever, because you have wholly followed the LORD my God.
10. And now, behold, the LORD has kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spoke this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
11. Even yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
12. Now therefore give me this mountain, of which the LORD spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
13. And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.
14. Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite unto this day, because he wholly followed the LORD God of Israel.
15. And the name of Hebron before was Kiriatharba; this Arba was a great man among the Anakim. And the land had rest from war.