1. Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spoke unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,
2. Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
3. Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.
4. From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your territory.
5. There shall not any man be able to stand before you all the days of your life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with you: I will not fail you, nor forsake you.
6. Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shall you divide for an inheritance the land, which I swore unto their fathers to give them.
7. Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded you: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.
8. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.
9. Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be you dismayed: for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.
10. Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,
11. Pass through the host, and command the people, saying, Prepare you provisions; for within three days you shall pass over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land, which the LORD your God gives you to possess it.
12. And to the Reubenites, and to the Gadites, and to half the tribe of Manasseh, spoke Joshua, saying,
13. Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, The LORD your God has given you rest, and has given you this land.
14. Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle, shall remain in the land which Moses gave you on this side of Jordan; but you shall pass before your brethren armed, all the mighty men of valor, and help them;
15. Until the LORD has given your brethren rest, as he has given you, and they also have possessed the land which the LORD your God gives them: then you shall return unto the land of your possession, and enjoy it, which Moses the LORD'S servant gave you on this side of Jordan toward the sun rising.
16. And they answered Joshua, saying, All that you command us we will do, and wherever you send us, we will go.
17. According as we hearkened unto Moses in all things, so will we hearken unto you: only the LORD your God be with you, as he was with Moses.
18. Whosoever he be that does rebel against your commandment, and will not hearken unto your words in all that you command him, he shall be put to death: only be strong and of a good courage.