1. Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.
2. And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.
3. And the people contended with Moses, and spoke, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the LORD!
4. And why have you brought up the congregation of the LORD into this wilderness, that we and our cattle should die there?
5. And why have you made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.
6. And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them.
7. And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying,
8. Take the rod, and gather you the assembly together, you, and Aaron your brother, and speak unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth its water, and you shall bring forth to them water out of the rock: so you shall give the congregation and their animals drink.
9. And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him.
10. And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, you rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?
11. And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he struck the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their animals also.
12. And the LORD spoke unto Moses and Aaron, Because you believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
13. This is the water of Meribah, because the children of Israel strove with the LORD, and he was sanctified among them.
14. And Moses sent messengers from Kadesh unto the king of Edom, Thus says your brother Israel, you know all the travail that has befallen us:
15. How our fathers went down into Egypt, and we have dwelt in Egypt a long time; and the Egyptians afflicted us, and our fathers:
16. And when we cried unto the LORD, he heard our voice, and sent an angel, and has brought us forth out of Egypt: and, behold, we are in Kadesh, a city on the edge of your border:
17. Let us pass, I pray you, through your country: we will not pass through the fields, or through the vineyards, neither will we drink of the water of the wells: we will go by the king's highway, we will not turn to the right hand nor to the left, until we have passed your borders.
18. And Edom said unto him, you shall not pass by me, lest I come out against you with the sword.
19. And the children of Israel said unto him, We will go by the highway: and if I and my cattle drink of your water, then I will pay for it: I will only, without doing anything else, go through on my feet.
20. And he said, you shall not go through. And Edom came out against him with much people, and with a strong hand.
21. Thus Edom refused to give Israel passage through his border: therefore Israel turned away from him.
22. And the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, journeyed from Kadesh, and came unto mount Hor.
23. And the LORD spoke unto Moses and Aaron in mount Hor, by the border of the land of Edom, saying,
24. Aaron shall be gathered unto his people: for he shall not enter into the land which I have given unto the children of Israel, because you rebelled against my word at the water of Meribah.
25. Take Aaron and Eleazar his son, and bring them up unto mount Hor:
26. And strip Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar his son: and Aaron shall be gathered unto his people, and shall die there.
27. And Moses did as the LORD commanded: and they went up into mount Hor in the sight of all the congregation.
28. And Moses stripped Aaron of his garments, and put them upon Eleazar his son; and Aaron died there on the top of the mountain: and Moses and Eleazar came down from the mount.
29. And when all the congregation saw that Aaron was dead, they mourned for Aaron thirty days, even all the house of Israel.