1. And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, and go up from here, you and the people whom you have brought up out of the land of Egypt, unto the land which I swore unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, Unto your descendants will I give it:
2. And I will send an angel before you; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite:
3. Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of you; for you are a stiff-necked people: lest I consume you in the way.
4. And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments.
5. For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, you are a stiff-necked people: I will come up into the midst of you in a moment, and consume you: therefore now put off your ornaments from you, that I may know what to do unto you.
6. And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb.
7. And Moses took a tent, and pitched it outside the camp, far off from the camp, and called it the Tabernacle of the congregation. And it came to pass, that every one who sought the LORD went out unto the tabernacle of meeting, which was outside the camp.
8. And it came to pass, when Moses went out unto the tabernacle, that all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door, and looked after Moses, until he was gone into the tabernacle.
9. And it came to pass, as Moses entered into the tabernacle, the pillar of cloud descended, and stood at the door of the tabernacle, and the LORD talked with Moses.
10. And all the people saw the pillar of cloud stand at the tabernacle door: and all the people rose up and worshiped, every man in his tent door.
11. And the LORD spoke unto Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
12. And Moses said unto the LORD, See, you say unto me, Bring up this people: and you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, I know you by name, and you have also found grace in my sight.
13. Now therefore, I pray you, if I have found grace in your sight, show me now your way, that I may know you, that I may find grace in your sight: and consider that this nation is your people.
14. And he said, My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.
15. And he said unto him, If your presence go not with me, carry us not up from here.
16. For how shall it be known here that I and your people have found grace in your sight? is it not in that you go with us? so shall we be separated, I and your people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
17. And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that you have spoken: for you have found grace in my sight, and I know you by name.
18. And he said, I beseech you, show me your glory.
19. And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
20. And he said, You can not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
21. And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and you shall stand upon a rock:
22. And it shall come to pass, while my glory passes by, that I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and will cover you with my hand while I pass by:
23. And I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back: but my face shall not be seen.