1. And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brothers, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
2. And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shua; and he took her, and went in unto her.
3. And she conceived, and bore a son; and he called his name Er.
4. And she conceived again, and bore a son; and she called his name Onan.
5. And she yet again conceived, and bore a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bore him.
6. And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
7. And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.
8. And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto your brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up descendants to your brother.
9. And Onan knew that the descendant would not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give a descendant to his brother.
10. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: therefore he slew him also.
11. Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter-in-law, Remain a widow at your father's house, till Shelah my son is grown: for he said, Lest perhaps he die also, as his brothers did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.
12. And in process of time the daughter of Shua Judah's wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheep shearers to Timnah, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
13. And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold your father-in-law goes up to Timnah to shear his sheep.
14. And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered herself with a veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnah; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him as wife.
15. When Judah saw her, he thought her to be a harlot; because she had covered her face.
16. And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray you, let me come in unto you; (for he knew not that she was his daughter-in-law.) And she said, What will you give me, that you may come in unto me?
17. And he said, I will send you a kid from the flock. And she said, Will you give me a pledge, till you send it?
18. And he said, What pledge shall I give you? And she said, Your signet, and your bracelets, and your staff that is in your hand. And he gave it to her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.
19. And she arose, and went away, and laid by her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
20. And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not.
21. Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the wayside? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.
22. And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, There was no harlot in this place.
23. And Judah said, Let her keep it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and you have not found her.
24. And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar your daughter-in-law has played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by harlotry. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.
25. When she was brought forth, she sent to her father-in-law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray you, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff.
26. And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She has been more righteous than I; because I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.
27. And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.
28. And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
29. And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How have you broken forth? this breach be upon you: therefore his name was called Perez.
30. And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zerah.