1. And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, you shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.
2. Arise, go to Paddanaram, to the house of Bethuel your mother's father; and take you a wife from there of the daughters of Laban your mother's brother.
3. And God Almighty bless you, and make you fruitful, and multiply you, that you may be a multitude of people;
4. And give you the blessing of Abraham, to you, and to your descendants with you; that you may inherit the land in which you are a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham.
5. And Isaac sent away Jacob: and he went to Paddanaram unto Laban, son of Bethuel the Aramean, the brother of Rebekah, Jacob's and Esau's mother.
6. When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob, and sent him away to Paddanaram, to take him a wife from there; and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, You shall not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan;
7. And that Jacob obeyed his father and his mother, and was gone to Paddanaram;
8. And Esau seeing that the daughters of Canaan pleased not Isaac his father;
9. Then went Esau unto Ishmael, and took, besides the wives whom he had, Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael Abraham's son, the sister of Nebaioth, to be his wife.
10. And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.
11. And he came upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
12. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
13. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham your father, and the God of Isaac: the land on which you lie, to you will I give it, and to your descendants;
14. And your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in you and in your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15. And, behold, I am with you, and will keep you in all places wherever you go, and will bring you again into this land; for I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken to you of.
16. And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.
17. And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
18. And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
19. And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at first.
20. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and clothing to put on,
21. So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
22. And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that you shall give me I will surely give the tenth unto you.