1. And Sarah was a hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.
2. And Sarah died in Kiriatharba; the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan: and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to weep for her.
3. And Abraham stood up from before his dead, and spoke unto the sons of Heth, saying,
4. I am a stranger and a sojourner with you: give me a possession of a burying place with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.
5. And the children of Heth answered Abraham, saying unto him,
6. Hear us, my lord: you are a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchers bury your dead; none of us shall withhold from you his sepulcher, but that you may bury your dead.
7. And Abraham stood up, and bowed himself to the people of the land, even to the children of Heth.
8. And he spoke with them, saying, If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight; hear me, and entreat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar,
9. That he may give me the cave of Machpelah, which he has, which is in the end of his field; for as much money as it is worth he shall give it me for a possession of a burying place among you.
10. And Ephron dwelt among the children of Heth: and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the audience of the children of Heth, even of all that went in at the gate of his city, saying,
11. Nay, my lord, hear me: the field I give you, and the cave that is in it, I give it to you; in the presence of the sons of my people I give it to you: bury your dead.
12. And Abraham bowed down himself before the people of the land.
13. And he spoke unto Ephron in the audience of the people of the land, saying, But if you will give it, I pray you, hear me: I will give you money for the field; take it of me, and I will bury my dead there.
14. And Ephron answered Abraham, saying unto him,
15. My lord, hearken unto me: the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver; what is that between me and you? bury therefore your dead.
16. And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchants.
17. And the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the borders round about, were made over
18. To Abraham for a possession in the presence of the children of Heth, before all that went in at the gate of his city.
19. And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Mamre: the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan.
20. And the field, and the cave that is therein, were made over to Abraham for a possession of a burying place by the sons of Heth.