1. Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ:
2. Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3. According as his divine power has given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who has called us to glory and virtue:
4. By which are given unto us exceedingly great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5. And for this reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge self control; and to self control patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness love.
8. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that you shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. But he that lacks these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10. Therefore rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, you shall never fall:
11. For so an entrance shall be provided unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
12. Therefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though you know them, and are established in the present truth.
13. Yea, I think it right, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14. Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ has showed me.
15. Moreover I will endeavor that you may be able after my departure to have these things always in remembrance.
16. For we have not followed cunningly devised myths, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; to which you do well that you take heed, as unto a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of one’s own interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.