1. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
2. To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of you in my prayers night and day;
4. Greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy;
5. When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice; and I am persuaded in you also.
6. Therefore I remind you that you stir up the gift of God, which is in you by the laying on of my hands.
7. For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
8. Be not therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
9. Who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
10. But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death, and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
11. For which I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
12. For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
13. Hold fast the pattern of sound words, which you have heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
14. That good thing which was committed unto you keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.
15. This you know, that all they who are in Asia are turned away from me; of whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes.
16. The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chains:
17. But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.
18. The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, you know very well.