1. Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
2. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
3. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not my own self.
4. For I know nothing against myself; yet am I not thereby justified: but he that judges me is the Lord.
5. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
6. And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that you might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.
7. For who makes you to differ from another? and what have you that you did not receive? now if you did receive it, why do you glory, as if you had not received it?
8. Now you are full, now you are rich, you have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God you did reign, that we also might reign with you.
9. For I think that God has set forth us the apostles last, as appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
10. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are honorable, but we are despised.
11. Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling place;
12. And labor, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure it:
13. Being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the trash of all things unto this day.
14. I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.
15. For though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have you not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
16. Therefore I beseech you, be followers of me.
17. For this cause have I sent unto you Timothy, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which are in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church.
18. Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
19. But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord wills, and will know, not the speech of them who are puffed up, but the power.
20. For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
21. What do you wish? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?