1. Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4. They said unto him, Teacher, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what say you?
6. This they said, testing him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7. So when they continued asking him, he lifted himself up, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9. And they who heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing before him.
10. When Jesus had lifted himself up, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those your accusers? has no man condemned you?
11. She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more.
12. Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
13. The Pharisees therefore said unto him, You bear record of yourself; your record is not true.
14. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know from where I came, and where I go; but you cannot tell from where I come, and where I go.
15. You judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
16. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
17. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.
18. I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me bears witness of me.
19. Then said they unto him, Where is your Father? Jesus answered, You neither know me, nor my Father: if you had known me, you should have known my Father also.
20. These words spoke Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.
21. Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and you shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: where I go, you cannot come.
22. Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he said, Where I go, you cannot come.
23. And he said unto them, You are from beneath; I am from above: you are of this world; I am not of this world.
24. I said therefore unto you, that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sins.
25. Then said they unto him, Who are you? And Jesus said unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.
26. I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.
27. They understood not that he spoke to them of the Father.
28. Then said Jesus unto them, When you have lifted up the Son of man, then shall you know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things.
29. And he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
30. As he spoke these words, many believed on him.
31. Then said Jesus to those Jews who believed on him, If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;
32. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
33. They answered him, We are Abraham's descendants, and were never in bondage to any man: how say you, You shall be made free?
34. Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin.
35. And the servant abides not in the house forever: but the Son abides ever.
36. If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed.
37. I know that you are Abraham's descendant; but you seek to kill me, because my word has no place in you.
38. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and you do that which you have seen with your father.
39. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus said unto them, If you were Abraham's children, you would do the works of Abraham.
40. But now you seek to kill me, a man that has told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.
41. You do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We are not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
42. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, you would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
43. Why do you not understand my speech? even because you cannot hear my word.
44. You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45. And because I tell you the truth, you believe me not.
46. Which of you convicts me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do you not believe me?
47. He that is of God hears God's words: you therefore hear them not, because you are not of God.
48. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that you are a Samaritan, and have a demon?
49. Jesus answered, I have not a demon; but I honor my Father, and you do dishonor me.
50. And I seek not my own glory: there is one that seeks and judges.
51. Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keeps my saying, he shall never see death.
52. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and you say, If a man keeps my saying, he shall never taste of death.
53. Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom make you yourself?
54. Jesus answered, If I honor myself, my honor is nothing: it is my Father that honors me; of whom you say, that he is your God:
55. Yet you have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
56. Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57. Then said the Jews unto him, You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?
58. Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.