1. And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
2. And he said unto them, When you pray, say, Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth.
3. Give us day by day our daily bread.
4. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
5. And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6. For a friend of mine in his journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
7. And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give you.
8. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give to him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
9. And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10. For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened.
11. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he asks for a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12. Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13. If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
14. And he was casting out a demon, and it was dumb. And it came to pass, when the demon was gone out, the dumb man spoke; and the people wondered.
15. But some of them said, He casts out demons through Beelzebub the chief of the demons.
16. And others, testing him, sought of him a sign from heaven.
17. But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house divided against a house falls.
18. If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because you say that I cast out demons through Beelzebub.
19. And if I by Beelzebub cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges.
20. But if I with the finger of God cast out demons, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
21. When a strong man armed keeps his palace, his goods are in peace:
22. But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he takes from him all his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoils.
23. He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathers not with me scatters.
24. When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walks through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he says, I will return unto my house from which I came out.
25. And when he comes, he finds it swept and in order.
26. Then he goes, and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.
27. And it came to pass, as he spoke these things, a certain woman of the crowd lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which you have nursed.
28. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
29. And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonah the prophet.
30. For as Jonah was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.
31. The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
32. The men of Nineveh shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and, behold, a greater than Jonah is here.
33. No man, when he has lighted a lamp, puts it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a lampstand, that they who come in may see the light.
34. The lamp of the body is the eye: therefore when your eye is sound, your whole body also is full of light; but when your eye is evil, your body also is full of darkness.
35. Take heed therefore that the light which is in you be not darkness.
36. If your whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a lamp does give you light.
37. And as he spoke, a certain Pharisee besought him to dine with him: and he went in, and sat down to eat.
38. And when the Pharisee saw it, he marveled that he had not first washed before dinner.
39. And the Lord said unto him, Now do you Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of extortion and wickedness.
40. You fools, did not he that made that which is outside make that which is within also?
41. But rather give alms of such things as you have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.
42. But woe unto you, Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over justice and the love of God: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
43. Woe unto you, Pharisees! for you love the best seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets.
44. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are as graves which are not seen, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
45. Then answered one of the lawyers, and said unto him, Teacher, thus saying you reproach us also.
46. And he said, Woe unto you also, you lawyers! for you load men with burdens hard to be borne, and you yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.
47. Woe unto you! for you build the sepulchers of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48. Truly you bear witness that you consent to the deeds of your fathers: for they indeed killed them, and you build their sepulchers.
49. Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
50. That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
51. From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zachariah, who perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.
52. Woe unto you, lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge: you entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in you hindered.
53. And as he said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to oppose him vehemently, and to provoke him to speak of many things:
54. Lying in wait for him, and seeking to catch something from his mouth, that they might accuse him.