1. The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
2. As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who shall prepare your way before you.
3. The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare you the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
4. John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5. And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
6. And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a belt of a skin about his waist; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
7. And preached, saying, There comes one mightier than I after me, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8. I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
9. And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
10. And immediately coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
11. And there came a voice from heaven, saying, You are my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
12. And immediately the Spirit drove him into the wilderness.
13. And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.
14. Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15. And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent, and believe the gospel.
16. Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
17. And Jesus said unto them, Come after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
18. And immediately they left their nets, and followed him.
19. And when he had gone a little farther from there, he saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets.
20. And immediately he called them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him.
21. And they went into Capernaum; and immediately on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.
22. And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
23. And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
24. Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? are you come to destroy us? I know you, who you are, the Holy One of God.
25. And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold your peace, and come out of him.
26. And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him.
27. And they were all amazed, so that that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority he commands even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
28. And immediately his fame spread abroad throughout all the region round about Galilee.
29. And immediately, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
30. But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and immediately they told him of her.
31. And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
32. And at evening, when the sun had set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with demons.
33. And all the city was gathered together at the door.
34. And he healed many that were sick of various diseases, and cast out many demons; and allowed not the demons to speak, because they knew him.
35. And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a lonely place, and there prayed.
36. And Simon and they that were with him followed after him.
37. And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek you.
38. And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth.
39. And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out demons.
40. And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If you will, you can make me clean.
41. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and said unto him, I will; be clean.
42. And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed.
43. And he sternly charged him, and immediately sent him away;
44. And said unto him, See that you say nothing to any man: but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
45. But he went out, and began to proclaim it much, and to spread abroad the matter, so that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was outside in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.