1. Then was Jesus led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
2. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward hungry.
3. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If you are the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
5. Then the devil took him up into the holy city, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6. And said unto him, If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning you: and in their hands they shall bear you up, lest at any time you dash your foot against a stone.
7. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, You shall not test the Lord your God.
8. Again, the devil took him up into an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9. And said unto him, All these things will I give you, if you will fall down and worship me.
10. Then said Jesus unto him, Begone, Satan: for it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.
11. Then the devil left him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
12. Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee;
13. And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the seacoast, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali:
14. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying,
15. The land of Zebulun, and the land of Naphtali, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;
16. The people who sat in darkness saw great light; and to them who sat in the region and shadow of death, light is sprung up.
17. From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
18. And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19. And he said unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20. And they immediately left their nets, and followed him.
21. And going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.
22. And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.
23. And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
24. And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with various diseases and torments, and those who were possessed with demons, and those that were epileptic, and those that were paralytic; and he healed them.
25. And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judea, and from beyond the Jordan.