1. In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
2. And saying, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
3. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare you the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
4. And the same John had his clothing of camel's hair, and a leather belt about his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.
5. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region round about Jordan,
6. And were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
7. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8. Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance:
9. And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham as our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
10. And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which brings not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that comes after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit, and with fire:
12. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the barn; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
13. Then came Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized by him.
14. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized by you, and come you to me?
15. And Jesus answering said unto him, Permit it to be so now: for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he permitted him.
16. And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up immediately out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17. And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.