1. The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
2. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judah and his brothers;
3. And Judah begat Perez and Zerah of Tamar; and Perez begat Hezron and Hezron begat Ram;
4. And Ram begat Amminidab; and Amminidab begat Nahshon; and Nahshon begat Salmon;
5. And Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab; and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;
6. And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Uriah;
7. And Solomon begat Rehoboam; and Rehoboam begat Abijah; and Abijah begat Asa;
8. And Asa begat Jehoshaphat; and Jehoshaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Uzziah;
9. And Uzziah begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Ahaz; and Ahaz begat Hezekiah;
10. And Hezekiah begat Manasseh; and Manasseh begat Amon; and Amon begat Josiah;
11. And Josiah begat Jeconiah and his brothers, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:
12. And after they were brought to Babylon, Jeconiah begat Shealtiel; and Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel;
13. And Zerubbabel begat Abihud; and Abihud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;
14. And Azor begat Zadok; and Zadok begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;
15. And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;
16. And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
17. So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
18. Now the birth of Jesus Christ happened this way: When his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit.
19. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, decided to put her away privately.
20. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto you Mary your wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21. And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
22. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
23. Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
24. Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
25. And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.