1. Ask of the LORD rain in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to everyone grass in the field.
2. For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd.
3. My anger was kindled against the shepherds, and I punished the leaders: for the LORD of hosts has visited his flock, the house of Judah, and has made them as his royal horse in the battle.
4. Out of him came forth the cornerstone, out of him the tent peg, out of him the battle bow, out of him every ruler together.
5. And they shall be as mighty men, who tread down their enemies in the mire of the streets in the battle: and they shall fight, because the LORD is with them, and the riders on horses shall be put to shame.
6. And I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph, and I will bring them again to restore them; for I have mercy upon them: and they shall be as though I had not cast them off: for I am the LORD their God, and will hear them.
7. And they of Ephraim shall be like a mighty man, and their heart shall rejoice as with wine: yea, their children shall see it, and be glad; their heart shall rejoice in the LORD.
8. I will signal for them, and gather them; for I have redeemed them: and they shall increase as they once increased.
9. And I will sow them among the people: and they shall remember me in far countries; and they shall live with their children, and return again.
10. I will bring them again also out of the land of Egypt, and gather them out of Assyria; and I will bring them into the land of Gilead and Lebanon; until room shall not be found for them.
11. And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall strike the waves in the sea, and all the depths of the river shall dry up: and the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart away.
12. And I will strengthen them in the LORD; and they shall walk up and down in his name, says the LORD.