1. In the seventh month, in the one and twentieth day of the month, came the word of the LORD by the prophet Haggai, saying,
2. Speak now to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and to the remnant of the people, saying,
3. Who is left among you that saw this house in her first glory? and how do you see it now? is it not in your eyes in comparison of it as nothing?
4. Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, says the LORD; and be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; and be strong, all you people of the land, says the LORD, and work: for I am with you, says the LORD of hosts:
5. According to the word that I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt, so my spirit remains among you: fear you not.
6. For thus says the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;
7. And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts.
8. The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts.
9. The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, says the LORD of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, says the LORD of hosts.
10. In the four and twentieth day of the ninth month, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
11. Thus says the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law, saying,
12. If one bears holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt does touch bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any food, shall it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No.
13. Then said Haggai, If one that is unclean because of a dead body touches any of these, shall it be unclean? And the priests answered and said, It shall be unclean.
14. Then answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, says the LORD; and so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean.
15. And now, I pray you, consider from this day onward, from before a stone was laid upon a stone in the temple of the LORD:
16. Since those days were, when one came to a heap of twenty measures, there were but ten: when one came to the winepress to draw out fifty vessels out of the press, there were but twenty.
17. I struck you with blasting and with mildew and with hail in all the labors of your hands; yet you turned not to me, says the LORD.
18. Consider now from this day and onward, from the four and twentieth day of the ninth month, even from the day that the foundation of the LORD'S temple was laid, consider it.
19. Is the seed yet in the barn? yea, as yet the vine, and the fig tree, and the pomegranate, and the olive tree, have not brought forth: but from this day will I bless you.
20. And again the word of the LORD came unto Haggai in the four and twentieth day of the month, saying,
21. Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth;
22. And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the nations; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
23. In that day, says the LORD of hosts, will I take you, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, says the LORD, and will make you as a signet ring: for I have chosen you, says the LORD of hosts.