1. I will stand upon my watch, and set myself upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.
2. And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, so he may run that reads it.
3. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not delay.
4. Behold, his soul which is proud is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
5. Yea also, because he transgresses by wine, he is a proud man, neither keeps at home, who enlarges his desire as sheol, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathers unto him all nations, and heaps unto him all people:
6. Shall not all these take up a parable against him, and a taunting proverb against him, and say, Woe to him that increases that which is not his! how long? and to him that loads himself with many pledges!
7. Shall they not rise up suddenly that are your creditors, and awake that shall oppress you, and you shall be for booty unto them?
8. Because you have plundered many nations, all the remnant of the people shall plunder you; because of bloodshed, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell in it.
9. Woe to him that covets an evil gain for his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of ruin!
10. You have plotted shame to your house by cutting off many peoples, and have sinned against your soul.
11. For the stone shall cry out from the wall, and the beam from the timber shall answer it.
12. Woe to him that builds a town with blood, and establishes a city by iniquity!
13. Behold, is it not of the LORD of hosts that the people shall labor to feed the fire, and the people shall weary themselves in vain?
14. For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
15. Woe unto him that gives his neighbour drink, that presses your wineskin to him, and makes him drunk also, that you may look on his nakedness!
16. You are filled with shame instead of glory: drink you also, and let your shame be exposed: the cup of the LORD'S right hand shall be turned against you, and utter shame shall be upon your glory.
17. For the violence done to Lebanon shall cover you, and the plunder of beasts, which made them afraid, because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, and of the city, and of all that dwell in it.
18. What profits the graven image that its maker has shaped it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusts in it, to make dumb idols?
19. Woe unto him that says to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is overlaid with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in it.
20. But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.