1. Thus has the Lord GOD showed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit.
2. And he said, Amos, what see you? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the LORD unto me, The end has come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them anymore.
3. And the songs of the temple shall be wailings in that day, says the Lord GOD: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth in silence.
4. Hear this, O you that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail,
5. Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell grain? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?
6. That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?
7. The LORD has sworn by the pride of Jacob, Surely I will never forget any of their works.
8. Shall not the land tremble for this, and every one mourn that dwells in it? and it shall rise up wholly as the river; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the river of Egypt.
9. And it shall come to pass in that day, says the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth on a clear day:
10. And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon every waist, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it like the mourning of an only son, and its end as a bitter day.
11. Behold, the days come, says the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
12. And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
13. In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.
14. They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Your god, O Dan, lives; and, The way of Beersheba lives; even they shall fall, and never rise up again.