1. Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and trust in the mountain of Samaria, who are named chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel came!
2. Pass you unto Calneh, and see; and from there go to Hamath the great: then go down to Gath of the Philistines: are they better than these kingdoms? or their borders greater than your borders?
3. You that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;
4. That lie upon beds of ivory, and stretch yourselves upon your couches, and eat the lambs out of the flock, and the calves out of the midst of the stall;
5. That chant to the sound of the harp, and invent for yourselves instruments of music, like David;
6. That drink wine in bowls, and anoint yourselves with the chief ointments: but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.
7. Therefore now shall they go captive with the first that go captive, and the banquet of them that stretched themselves shall be removed.
8. The Lord GOD has sworn by himself, says the LORD the God of hosts, I abhor the excellency of Jacob, and hate his palaces: therefore will I deliver up the city with all that is in it.
9. And it shall come to pass, if there remain ten men in one house, that they shall die.
10. And a man's uncle shall take him up, and he that burns him, to bring out the bones out of the house, and shall say unto him that is by the sides of the house, Is there yet any with you? and he shall say, No. Then shall he say, Hold your tongue: for we may not make mention of the name of the LORD.
11. For, behold, the LORD commands, and he will strike the great house into pieces, and the little house into bits.
12. Shall horses run upon the rock? will one plow there with oxen? for you have turned justice into gall, and the fruit of righteousness into hemlock:
13. You rejoice in a thing of nothing, who say, Have we not taken to us authority by our own strength?
14. But, behold, I will raise up against you a nation, O house of Israel, says the LORD the God of hosts; and they shall afflict you from the entrance of Hamath unto the river of Arabah.