1. When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
2. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.
3. I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.
4. I drew them with cords of compassion, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke from their jaws, and I laid food before them.
5. He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
6. And the sword shall rage against his cities, and shall consume his districts, and devour them, because of their own counsels.
7. And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.
8. How shall I give you up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver you, Israel? how shall I make you as Admah? how shall I set you as Zeboiim? my heart is turned within me, my compassion is stirred.
9. I will not execute the fierceness of my anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of you: and I will not enter into the city.
10. They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall come trembling from the west.
11. They shall come trembling as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will place them in their houses, says the LORD.
12. Ephraim surrounds me with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet walks with God, and is faithful with the saints.