1. Set the trumpet to your mouth. He shall come as an eagle over the house of the LORD, because they have transgressed my covenant, and trespassed against my law.
2. Israel shall cry unto me, My God, we know you.
3. Israel has cast off the thing that is good: the enemy shall pursue him.
4. They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
5. Your calf, O Samaria, has cast you off; my anger is kindled against them: how long will it be before they attain to innocence?
6. For from Israel is even this: the workman made it; therefore it is not God: but the calf of Samaria shall be broken in pieces.
7. For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: the stalk has no bud: it shall yield no meal: if so be it does yield, the aliens shall swallow it up.
8. Israel is swallowed up: now shall they be among the Gentiles as a vessel in which is no pleasure.
9. For they have gone up to Assyria, a wild donkey alone by itself: Ephraim has hired lovers.
10. Yea, though they have hired among the nations, now will I gather them, and they shall sorrow a little because of the burden of the king of princes.
11. Because Ephraim has made many altars for sin offerings, the altars shall be unto him for sinning.
12. I have written to him the great things of my law, but they were counted as a strange thing.
13. They sacrifice flesh for the sacrifices of my offerings, and eat it; but the LORD accepts them not; now will he remember their iniquity, and punish their sins: they shall return to Egypt.
14. For Israel has forgotten his Maker, and builds temples; and Judah has multiplied fortified cities: but I will send a fire upon his cities, and it shall devour his palaces.