1. Hear the word of the LORD, you children of Israel: for the LORD has a controversy with the inhabitants of the land: Because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
2. By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break all restraint, and bloodshed touches bloodshed.
3. Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwells in it shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fish of the sea also shall be taken away.
4. Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for your people are as they that strive with the priest.
5. Therefore shall you fall in the day, and the prophet also shall fall with you in the night, and I will destroy your mother.
6. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you shall be no priest to me: because you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.
7. As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.
8. They eat up the sin of my people, and they set their heart on their iniquity.
9. And there shall be, like people, like priest: and I will punish them for their ways, and reward them for their deeds.
10. For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit harlotry, and shall not increase: because they have ceased to obey the LORD.
11. Harlotry and wine and new wine take away the heart.
12. My people ask counsel of their idols of wood, and their staff advises unto them: for the spirit of harlotry has caused them to err, and they have played the harlot against their God.
13. They sacrifice upon the tops of the mountains, and burn incense upon the hills, under oaks and poplars and elms, because its shadow is good: therefore your daughters shall commit harlotry, and your spouses shall commit adultery.
14. I will not punish your daughters when they commit harlotry, nor your spouses when they commit adultery: for the men themselves are gone apart with harlots, and they sacrifice with prostitutes: therefore the people that do not understand shall fall.
15. Though you, Israel, play the harlot, yet let not Judah offend; and come not unto Gilgal, neither go up to Bethaven, nor swear, As the LORD lives.
16. For Israel slides back like a stubborn heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in an open pasture.
17. Ephraim is joined to idols: let him alone.
18. Their drink is sour: they have committed harlotry continually: her rulers love shame more than glory.
19. The wind has bound her up in its wings, and they shall be ashamed because of their sacrifices.