1. And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the third month, on the first day of the month, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
2. Son of man, speak unto Pharaoh king of Egypt, and to his multitude; Whom are you like in your greatness?
3. Behold, the Assyrian was a cedar in Lebanon with fair branches, and with forest shade, and of a high stature; and his top was among the thick boughs.
4. The waters made it great, the deep set it up on high with its rivers running round about its plants, and sent out its little rivers unto all the trees of the field.
5. Therefore its height was exalted above all the trees of the field, and its boughs were multiplied, and its branches became long because of the multitude of waters, when it shot forth.
6. All the fowls of heaven made their nests in its boughs, and under its branches did all the beasts of the field bring forth their young, and under its shadow dwelt all great nations.
7. Thus was it beautiful in its greatness, in the length of its branches: for its root reached to great waters.
8. The cedars in the garden of God could not hide it: the fir trees were not like its boughs, and the chestnut trees were not like its branches; nor any tree in the garden of God was like unto it in its beauty.
9. I have made it beautiful by the multitude of its branches: so that all the trees of Eden, that were in the garden of God, envied it.
10. Therefore thus says the Lord GOD; Because you have lifted up yourself in height, and it has shot up its top among the thick boughs, and its heart is lifted up in its height;
11. I have therefore delivered it into the hand of the mighty one of the nations; he shall surely deal with it: I have driven it out for its wickedness.
12. And strangers, the most terrible of the nations, have cut it off, and have left it: upon the mountains and in all the valleys its branches are fallen, and its boughs are broken by all the rivers of the land; and all the people of the earth have gone down from its shadow, and have left it.
13. Upon its ruin shall all the fowls of the heaven remain, and all the beasts of the field shall be upon its branches:
14. So that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their tops among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the lower parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit.
15. Thus says the Lord GOD; In the day when it went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for it, and I restrained its floods, and the great waters were held back: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for it, and all the trees of the field fainted because of it.
16. I made the nations to shake at the sound of its fall, when I cast it down to sheol with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the lower parts of the earth.
17. They also went down into sheol with it with them that are slain with the sword; and they that were its arm, that dwelt under its shadow in the midst of the nations.
18. To whom are you thus like in glory and in greatness among the trees of Eden? yet shall you be brought down with the trees of Eden unto the lower parts of the earth: you shall lie in the midst of the uncircumcised with them that are slain by the sword. This is Pharaoh and all his multitude, says the Lord GOD.