1. The word of the LORD that came to Jeremiah the prophet against the Philistines, before Pharaoh struck Gaza.
2. Thus says the LORD; Behold, waters rise up out of the north, and shall be an overflowing flood, and shall overflow the land, and all that is in it; the city, and them that dwell in it: then the men shall cry, and all the inhabitants of the land shall wail.
3. At the noise of the stamping of the hoofs of his strong horses, at the rushing of his chariots, and at the rumbling of his wheels, the fathers shall not look back to their children because of feebleness of hands;
4. Because of the day that comes to plunder all the Philistines, and to cut off from Tyre and Sidon every helper that remains: for the LORD will plunder the Philistines, the remnant of the country of Caphtor.
5. Baldness has come upon Gaza; Ashkelon is cut off with the remnant of their valley: how long will you cut yourself?
6. O you sword of the LORD, how long will it be before you are quiet? put yourself into your scabbard, rest, and be still.
7. How can it be quiet, seeing the LORD has given it a charge against Ashkelon, and against the seashore? there has he appointed it.