1. And it came to pass, that when Jeremiah had finished speaking unto all the people all the words of the LORD their God, for which the LORD their God had sent him to them, even all these words,
2. Then spoke Azariah the son of Hoshaiah, and Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the proud men, saying unto Jeremiah, You speak falsely: the LORD our God has not sent you to say, Go not into Egypt to sojourn there:
3. But Baruch the son of Neriah sets you against us, to deliver us into the hand of the Chaldeans, that they might put us to death, and carry us away captives into Babylon.
4. So Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the captains of the forces, and all the people, obeyed not the voice of the LORD, to dwell in the land of Judah.
5. But Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the captains of the forces, took all the remnant of Judah, that were returned from all nations, where they had been driven, to dwell in the land of Judah;
6. Even men, and women, and children, and the king’s daughters, and every person that Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard had left with Gedaliah the son of Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Jeremiah the prophet, and Baruch the son of Neriah.
7. So they came into the land of Egypt: for they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: thus came they even to Tahpanhes.
8. Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah in Tahpanhes, saying,
9. Take great stones in your hand, and hide them in the clay in the brick pavement, which is at the entrance of Pharaoh’s house in Tahpanhes, in the sight of the men of Judah;
10. And say unto them, Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will send and take Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant, and will set his throne upon these stones that I have hid; and he shall spread his royal pavilion over them.
11. And when he comes, he shall strike the land of Egypt, and deliver such as are for death to death; and such as are for captivity to captivity; and such as are for the sword to the sword.
12. And I will kindle a fire in the houses of the gods of Egypt; and he shall burn them, and carry them away captives: and he shall array himself with the land of Egypt, as a shepherd puts on his garment; and he shall go forth from there in peace.
13. He shall break also the sacred pillars of Beth-shemesh, that is in the land of Egypt; and the houses of the gods of the Egyptians shall he burn with fire.