1. The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD in the tenth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadnezzar.
2. For then the king of Babylon’s army besieged Jerusalem: and Jeremiah the prophet was shut up in the court of the prison, which was in the king of Judah’s house.
3. For Zedekiah king of Judah had shut him up, saying, Why do you prophesy, and say, Thus says the LORD, Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall take it;
4. And Zedekiah king of Judah shall not escape out of the hand of the Chaldeans, but shall surely be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon, and shall speak with him mouth to mouth, and his eyes shall behold his eyes;
5. And he shall lead Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I visit him, says the LORD: though you fight with the Chaldeans, you shall not prosper.
6. And Jeremiah said, The word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
7. Behold, Hanamel the son of Shallum your uncle shall come unto you, saying, Buy my field that is in Anathoth: for the right of redemption is yours to buy it.
8. So Hanamel my uncle’s son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray you, that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is yours, and the redemption is yours; buy it for yourself. Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD.
9. And I bought the field of Hanamel my uncle’s son, that was in Anathoth, and weighed him the money, even seventeen shekels of silver.
10. And I signed the deed, and sealed it, and took witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances.
11. So I took the deed of purchase, both that which was sealed according to the law and custom, and that which was open:
12. And I gave the deed of purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, the son of Mahseiah, in the sight of Hanamel my uncle’s son, and in the presence of the witnesses that signed the deed of purchase, before all the Jews that sat in the court of the prison.
13. And I charged Baruch before them, saying,
14. Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Take these deeds, this deed of purchase, which is sealed, and this deed which is open; and put them in an earthen vessel, that they may last many days.
15. For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Houses and fields and vineyards shall be possessed again in this land.
16. Now when I had delivered the deed of purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, I prayed unto the LORD, saying,
17. Ah Lord GOD! behold, you have made the heaven and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm, and there is nothing too hard for you:
18. You show lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompense the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, is his name,
19. Great in counsel, and mighty in work: for your eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men: to give everyone according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings:
20. Who has set signs and wonders in the land of Egypt, even unto this day, and in Israel, and among other men; and have made yourself a name, as at this day;
21. And have brought forth your people Israel out of the land of Egypt with signs, and with wonders, and with a strong hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terror;
22. And have given them this land, which you did swear to their fathers to give them, a land flowing with milk and honey;
23. And they came in, and possessed it; but they obeyed not your voice, neither walked in your law; they have done nothing of all that you commanded them to do: therefore you have caused all this disaster to come upon them:
24. Behold the siege mounds, they have come unto the city to take it; and the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans, that fight against it, because of the sword, and of the famine, and of the pestilence: and what you have spoken has come to pass; and, behold, you see it.
25. And you have said unto me, O Lord GOD, Buy the field for money, and take witnesses; for the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.
26. Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,
27. Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?
28. Therefore thus says the LORD; Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans, and into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and he shall take it:
29. And the Chaldeans, that fight against this city, shall come and set fire to this city, and burn it with the houses, upon whose roofs they have offered incense unto Baal, and poured out drink offerings unto other gods, to provoke me to anger.
30. For the children of Israel and the children of Judah have only done evil before me from their youth: for the children of Israel have only provoked me to anger with the work of their hands, says the LORD.
31. For this city has been to me as a provocation of my anger and of my fury from the day that they built it even unto this day; that I should remove it from before my face,
32. Because of all the evil of the children of Israel and of the children of Judah, which they have done to provoke me to anger, they, their kings, their princes, their priests, and their prophets, and the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
33. And they have turned unto me the back, and not the face: though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.
34. But they set their abominations in the house, which is called by my name, to defile it.
35. And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.
36. And now therefore thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, of which you say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence;
37. Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, where I have driven them in my anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely:
38. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God:
39. And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me forever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
40. And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.
41. Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul.
42. For thus says the LORD; As I have brought all this great disaster upon this people, so will I bring upon them all the good that I have promised them.
43. And fields shall be bought in this land, of which you say, It is desolate without man or beast; it is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.
44. Men shall buy fields for money, and sign deeds, and seal them, and take witnesses in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, and in the cities of the mountains, and in the cities of the valley, and in the cities of the south: for I will cause their captivity to return, says the LORD.