1. Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and rely on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD!
2. Yet he also is wise, and will bring evil, and will not call back his words: but will arise against the house of the evildoers, and against the help of them that work iniquity.
3. Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, both he that helps shall fall, and he that is helped shall fall down, and they all shall fail together.
4. For thus has the LORD spoken unto me, Like the lion and the young lion roaring over his prey, when a multitude of shepherds is called forth against him, he will not be afraid of their voice, nor disturbed by the noise of them: so shall the LORD of hosts come down to fight for mount Zion, and for its hill.
5. As birds flying, so will the LORD of hosts defend Jerusalem; defending, he will also deliver it; and passing over, he will preserve it.
6. Turn unto him from whom the children of Israel have deeply revolted.
7. For in that day every man shall cast away his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which your own hands have sinfully made for you.
8. Then shall the Assyrian fall by the sword, not of man; and the sword, not of men, shall devour him: and he shall flee from the sword, and his young men shall be put to forced labor.
9. And he shall pass over to his stronghold for fear, and his princes shall be afraid of the banner, says the LORD, whose fire is in Zion, and his furnace in Jerusalem.