1. Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said,
2. How long will you speak these things? and how long shall the words of your mouth be like a strong wind?
3. Does God pervert judgment? or does the Almighty pervert justice?
4. If your children have sinned against him, and he has cast them away for their transgression;
5. If you would seek unto God early, and make your supplication to the Almighty;
6. If you were pure and upright; surely now he would awake for you, and make the habitation of your righteousness prosperous.
7. Though your beginning was small, yet your latter end should greatly increase.
8. For inquire, I pray you, of the former age, and prepare yourself to the findings of their fathers:
9. (For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow:)
10. Shall not they teach you, and tell you, and utter words out of their heart?
11. Can the papyrus grow up without a marsh? can the reeds grow without water?
12. While it is yet green, and not cut down, it withers before any other plant.
13. So are the paths of all that forget God; and the hypocrite’s hope shall perish:
14. Whose confidence shall be cut off, and whose trust shall be a spider’s web.
15. He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand: he shall hold it fast, but it shall not endure.
16. He grows green in the sun, and his branch shoots forth in his garden.
17. His roots are wrapped about the stone heap, and looks for a place in the stones.
18. If he is destroyed from his place, then it will deny him, saying, I have not seen you.
19. Behold, this is the joy of his way, and out of the earth shall others grow.
20. Behold, God will not cast away a blameless man, neither will he help the evil doers:
21. Till he fills your mouth with laughing, and your lips with rejoicing.
22. They that hate you shall be clothed with shame; and the dwellingplace of the wicked will come to nothing.