1. In the seventh year of Jehu Jehoash began to reign; and forty years reigned he in Jerusalem. And his motherís name was Zibiah of Beer-sheba.
2. And Jehoash did that which was right in the sight of the LORD all his days in which Jehoiada the priest instructed him.
3. But the high places were not taken away: the people still sacrificed and burnt incense in the high places.
4. And Jehoash said to the priests, All the money of the dedicated things that is brought into the house of the LORD, even the money of everyone that is in the census, the money that every man is assessed, and all the money that comes into any manís heart to bring into the house of the LORD,
5. Let the priests take it to them, every man of his acquaintance: and let them repair the damages of the house, whereever any damage shall be found.
6. But it was so, that in the three and twentieth year of king Jehoash, the priests had not repaired the damages of the house.
7. Then king Jehoash called for Jehoiada the priest, and the other priests, and said unto them, Why repair you not the damages of the house? now therefore take no more money of your acquaintances, but deliver it to repair the damages of the house.
8. And the priests consented to take no more money of the people, neither to repair the damages of the house.
9. But Jehoiada the priest took a chest, and bored a hole in its lid, and set it beside the altar, on the right side as one comes into the house of the LORD: and the priests that kept the door put in it all the money that was brought into the house of the LORD.
10. And it was so, when they saw that there was much money in the chest, that the kingís scribe and the high priest came up, and they put it in bags, and counted the money that was found in the house of the LORD.
11. And they gave the money, being counted, into the hands of them that did the work, that had the oversight of the house of the LORD: and they paid it out to the carpenters and builders, that worked upon the house of the LORD,
12. And to masons, and hewers of stone, and to buy timber and hewed stone to repair the damages of the house of the LORD, and for all that was laid out for the house to repair it.
13. However there were not made for the house of the LORD basins of silver, snuffers, bowls, trumpets, any vessels of gold, or vessels of silver, of the money that was brought into the house of the LORD:
14. But they gave that to the workmen, and repaired with it the house of the LORD.
15. Moreover they required no accounting with the men, into whose hand they delivered the money to be paid to the workmen: for they dealt faithfully.
16. The trespass offering money and sin offering money was not brought into the house of the LORD: it was the priestsí.
17. Then Hazael king of Syria went up, and fought against Gath, and took it: and Hazael set his face to go up to Jerusalem.
18. And Jehoash king of Judah took all the sacred things that Jehoshaphat, and Jehoram, and Ahaziah, his fathers, kings of Judah, had dedicated, and his own sacred things, and all the gold that was found in the treasuries of the house of the LORD, and in the kingís house, and sent it to Hazael king of Syria: and he went away from Jerusalem.
19. And the rest of the acts of Joash, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah?
20. And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Joash in the house of Millo, on the road which goes down to Silla.
21. For Jozachar the son of Shimeath, and Jehozabad the son of Shomer, his servants, struck him down, and he died; and they buried him with his fathers in the city of David: and Amaziah his son reigned in his stead.