1. Then came all the tribes of Israel to David unto Hebron, and spoke, saying, Behold, we are your bone and your flesh.
2. Also in time past, when Saul was king over us, you were he that led out and brought in Israel: and the LORD said to you, You shall feed my people Israel, and you shall be a captain over Israel.
3. So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and king David made a covenant with them in Hebron before the LORD: and they anointed David king over Israel.
4. David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years.
5. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months: and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty and three years over all Israel and Judah.
6. And the king and his men went to Jerusalem unto the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the land: who spoke unto David, saying, Except you take away the blind and the lame, you shall not come in here: thinking, David cannot come in here.
7. Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion: the same is the city of David.
8. And David said on that day, Whosoever gets up the water shaft, and strikes the Jebusites, and the lame and the blind, that are hated of Davidís soul, he shall be chief and captain. Therefore they said, The blind and the lame shall not come into the house.
9. So David dwelt in the fort, and called it the city of David. And David built all around from Millo inward.
10. And David went on, and grew great, and the LORD God of hosts was with him.
11. And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons: and they built David a house.
12. And David perceived that the LORD had established him king over Israel, and that he had exalted his kingdom for his people Israelís sake.
13. And David took himself more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David.
14. And these are the names of those that were born unto him in Jerusalem; Shammuah, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon,
15. Ibhar also, and Elishua, and Nepheg, and Japhia,
16. And Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphelet.
17. But when the Philistines heard that they had anointed David king over Israel, all the Philistines came up to seek David; and David heard of it, and went down to the stronghold.
18. The Philistines also came and spread out in the valley of Rephaim.
19. And David inquired of the LORD, saying, Shall I go up against the Philistines? will you deliver them into my hand? And the LORD said unto David, Go up: for I will doubtless deliver the Philistines into your hand.
20. And David came to Baal-perazim, and David struck them there, and said, The LORD has broken forth upon my enemies before me, as the breakthrough of waters. Therefore he called the name of that place Baal-perazim.
21. And there they left their images, and David and his men burned them.
22. And the Philistines came up yet again, and spread out in the valley of Rephaim.
23. And when David inquired of the LORD, he said, You shall not go up; but go around behind them, and come upon them opposite the mulberry trees.
24. And let it be, when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then you shall move quickly: for then shall the LORD go out before you, to strike the army of the Philistines.
25. And David did so, as the LORD had commanded him; and struck the Philistines from Geba until you come to Gezer.