1. And it came to pass, when all the kings of the Amorites, which were on the side of the Jordan westward, and all the kings of the Canaanites, which were by the sea, heard that the LORD had dried up the waters of the Jordan from before the children of Israel, until we were passed over, that their heart melted, neither was there spirit in them any more, because of the children of Israel.
2. At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make you sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
3. And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
4. And this is the reason why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
5. Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised.
6. For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people that were men of war, who came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: unto whom the LORD swore that he would not show them the land, which the LORD swore unto their fathers that he would give us, a land that flows with milk and honey.
7. And their children, whom he raised up in their stead, them Joshua circumcised: for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them on the way.
8. And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were healed.
9. And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Therefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.
10. And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at evening in the plains of Jericho.
11. And they did eat of the old grain of the land the next day after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched grain on the very same day.
12. And the manna ceased the next day after they had eaten of the old grain of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.
13. And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man opposite him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, are you for us, or for our adversaries?
14. And he said, Nay; but as captain of the army of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What says my lord unto his servant?
15. And the captain of the LORD'S army said unto Joshua, Loose your shoes from off your feet; for the place on which you stand is holy. And Joshua did so.