1. And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying,
2. Speak unto the children of Israel, and take of every one of them a rod according to the house of their fathers, of all their leaders according to the house of their fathers twelve rods: write every man's name upon his rod.
3. And you shall write Aaron's name upon the rod of Levi: for one rod shall be for the head of the house of their fathers.
4. And you shall lay them up in the tabernacle of meeting before the testimony, where I will meet with you.
5. And it shall come to pass, that the man's rod, whom I shall choose, shall blossom: and I will make to cease from me the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against you.
6. And Moses spoke unto the children of Israel, and every one of their leaders gave him a rod apiece, for each leader one, according to their fathers' houses, even twelve rods: and the rod of Aaron was among their rods.
7. And Moses laid up the rods before the LORD in the tabernacle of witness.
8. And it came to pass, that the next day Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was sprouted, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds.
9. And Moses brought out all the rods from before the LORD unto all the children of Israel: and they looked, and took every man his rod.
10. And the LORD said unto Moses, Bring Aaron's rod again before the testimony, to be kept for a sign against the rebels; and you shall put away their murmurings from me, that they die not.
11. And Moses did so: as the LORD commanded him, so did he.
12. And the children of Israel spoke unto Moses, saying, Behold, we die, we perish, we all perish.
13. Whosoever comes anywhere near unto the tabernacle of the LORD shall die: shall we be consumed with dying?