1. Then Joseph came and told Pharaoh, and said, My father and my brothers, and their flocks, and their herds, and all that they have, are come out of the land of Canaan; and, behold, they are in the land of Goshen.
2. And he took some of his brothers, even five men, and presented them unto Pharaoh.
3. And Pharaoh said unto his brothers, What is your occupation? And they said unto Pharaoh, Your servants are shepherds, both we, and also our fathers.
4. They said moreover unto Pharaoh, For to sojourn in the land are we come; for your servants have no pasture for their flocks; for the famine is severe in the land of Canaan: now therefore, we pray you, let your servants dwell in the land of Goshen.
5. And Pharaoh spoke unto Joseph, saying, Your father and your brothers are come unto you:
6. The land of Egypt is before you; in the best of the land make your father and brothers to dwell; in the land of Goshen let them dwell: and if you know any men of ability among them, then make them rulers over my cattle.
7. And Joseph brought in Jacob his father, and set him before Pharaoh: and Jacob blessed Pharaoh.
8. And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How old are you?
9. And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.
10. And Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and went out from before Pharaoh.
11. And Joseph placed his father and his brothers, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.
12. And Joseph nourished his father, and his brothers, and all his father's household, with food, according to their families.
13. And there was no food in all the land; for the famine was very severe, so that the land of Egypt and all the land of Canaan fainted by reason of the famine.
14. And Joseph gathered up all the money that was found in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, for the grain which they bought: and Joseph brought the money into Pharaoh's house.
15. And when money failed in the land of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, all the Egyptians came unto Joseph, and said, Give us food: for why should we die in your presence? for the money fails.
16. And Joseph said, Give your cattle; and I will give you food for your cattle, if money fails;.
17. And they brought their cattle unto Joseph: and Joseph gave them food in exchange for horses, and for the flocks, and for the cattle of the herds, and for the donkeys: and he fed them with food for all their cattle for that year.
18. When that year was ended, they came unto him the second year, and said unto him, We will not hide it from my lord, how that our money is spent; my lord also has our herds of cattle; there is not anything left in the sight of my lord, but our bodies, and our lands:
19. Why shall we die before your eyes, both we and our land? buy us and our land for food, and we and our land will be servants unto Pharaoh: and give us seed, that we may live, and not die, that the land be not desolate.
20. And Joseph bought all the land of Egypt for Pharaoh; for the Egyptians sold every man his field, because the famine prevailed over them: so the land became Pharaoh's.
21. And as for the people, he removed them to cities from one end of the borders of Egypt even to the other end thereof.
22. Only the land of the priests bought he not; for the priests had a portion assigned them of Pharaoh, and did eat their portion which Pharaoh gave them: therefore they sold not their lands.
23. Then Joseph said unto the people, Behold, I have bought you this day and your land for Pharaoh: lo, here is seed for you, and you shall sow the land.
24. And it shall come to pass in the harvest, that you shall give the fifth part unto Pharaoh, and four parts shall be your own, for seed of the field, and for your food, and for them of your households, and for food for your little ones.
25. And they said, You have saved our lives: let us find grace in the sight of my lord, and we will be Pharaoh's servants.
26. And Joseph made it a law over the land of Egypt unto this day, that Pharaoh should have the fifth part; except the land of the priests only, which became not Pharaoh's.
27. And Israel dwelt in the land of Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they had possessions therein, and grew, and multiplied exceedingly.
28. And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years: so the whole age of Jacob was a hundred forty and seven years.
29. And the time drew near that Israel must die: and he called his son Joseph, and said unto him, If now I have found grace in your sight, put, I pray you, your hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me; bury me not, I pray you, in Egypt:
30. But I will lie with my fathers, and you shall carry me out of Egypt, and bury me in their burying place. And he said, I will do as you have said.
31. And he said, Swear unto me. And he swore unto him. And Israel bowed himself upon the head of the bed.