1. Now Sarai Abram's wife bore him no children: and she had a handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.
2. And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing: I pray you, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
3. And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.
4. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.
5. And Sarai said unto Abram, The wrong done to me be upon you: I have given my maid into your bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and you.
6. But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, your maid is in your hand; do to her as it pleases you. And when Sarai dealt harshly with her, she fled from her face.
7. And the angel of the LORD found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, by the spring on the way to Shur.
8. And he said, Hagar, Saraiís maid, where did you come from? and where will you go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.
9. And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hands.
10. And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply your descendants exceedingly, that they shall not be numbered for multitude.
11. And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, you are with child, and shall bear a son, and shall call his name Ishmael; because the LORD has heard your affliction.
12. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell over against all his brethren.
13. And she called the name of the LORD that spoke unto her, You God, see me: for she said, Have I also here seen him that sees me?
14. Therefore the well was called Beerlahairoi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.
15. And Hagar bore Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bore, Ishmael.
16. And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bore Ishmael to Abram.