1. My brethren, be not many teachers, knowing that we shall receive the severer judgment.
2. For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven by fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small rudder, wherever the pilot desires.
5. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasts great things. Behold, how great a forest a little fire kindles!
6. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
7. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind:
8. But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9. With this bless we God, even the Father; and with this curse we men, who are made after the similitude of God.
10. Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11. Does a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12. Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
13. Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good life his works with meekness of wisdom.
14. But if you have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, boast not, and lie not against the truth.
15. This wisdom descends not from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic.
16. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
17. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by them that make peace.